Call for Applications
ISSNAF, the Italian Scientists and Scholars in North America Foundation, annually awards the Young Investigator Awards in various disciplines to outstanding, early-career Italian researchers working in the United States or Canada, in recognition of their significant and innovative contributions to their field of research.
ISSNAF is very pleased to announce the Young Investigator Awards of 2023 and is grateful to their sponsors for their generosity.
EMBASSY OF ITALY AWARD
FOR RESEARCH IN NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASES
Established in 2020, this year’s edition recognizes young Italian researchers in the USA providing fundamental contributions to the understanding and curing of neurodegenerative diseases including those related to aging.
FRANCO STRAZZABOSCO AWARD
FOR RESEARCH IN ENGINEERING WITH FOCUS ON SUSTAINABLE ENERGY
Established in 2013 by the Strazzabosco family in memory of Dott. Ing. Franco Strazzabosco, this award is a tribute to the entrepreneurial courage of Italian engineers who strive to apply scientific discoveries to the public advantage.
INFN BRUNO TOUSCHEK AWARD
FOR RESEARCH IN FUNDAMENTAL PHYSICS
Established in 2022 by Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, this award honors the memory of Prof. Bruno Touschek for his pioneering work in the fields of elementary particle physics and particle accelerators. It recognizes contributions in the fields of fundamental interactions of matter, such as elementary particle physics, nuclear physics, cosmology and the physics of particle beams.
MARIO GERLA AWARD
FOR RESEARCH IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
Established by the Gerla family in 2019, this award is in memory of Dr. Mario Gerla, professor of Computer Science at UCLA and ISSNAF founding member.
PAOLA CAMPESE AWARD
FOR RESEARCH IN HEMATOLOGIC MALIGNANCIES
Established by Stefania and Vito Campese in 2011, this award is in memory of their young, talented and generous daughter Paola.
FOR INNOVATION IN THE STUDY OF ITALIAN CULTURE
Established in 2021 by RnB4Culture, this award recognizes the vibrancy of research in Italian culture and its evolving nature expressed in a variety of ways such as innovative uses of technology, or originality of approach, or contribution to wider questions and trends in the Humanities at large.
- Winners receive a prize of $3,000.
- Winners and Finalists are invited to attend the ISSNAF Annual Event 2023 at the Embassy of Italy in Washington and receive a travel and lodging award.
- Winners and Finalists receive public recognition of their accomplishments via the ISSNAF social media.
1) Italian citizenship;
2) Current affiliation with a research institution in the United States or Canada, with the exception that applicants for the Embassy of Italy Award must work in the USA;
3) PhD received or Medical/Veterinary Residency completed in 2016 or later.
ISSNAF reserves the right to exclude any applicants not meeting standards of good scholarship and integrity.
Applications are evaluated considering the applicant’s curriculum, the quality and impact of their research, their personal contributions to the research, and two letters of reference. Three Finalists are named for each of the Awards.
The Finalists present their research to the distinguished Award Jury at the virtual Young ISSNAF Symposia to be held in October 16-20, 2023. The Jury names the Award Winner. The Symposia are open to the public.
The Winners are announced and receive their award at the ISSNAF Annual Event in November 2023 (date TBD).
- May 27, 2023 Call is open
- July 16, 2023 Call is closed
- July 28, 2023 Letters of reference are due
- August 8, 2023 Applicants are notified whether their application has been accepted
- September 29, 2023 Applicants are notified whether they have been named Finalists
- October 16-20, 2023 Finalists present their research at the Young Investigator Symposia
- November 2023 Winners receive their Award at 2023 ISSNAF Annual Event
For questions, contact email@example.com